Government has set strict guidelines for re-opening of shopping arcades which remains closed due to Covid-19 pandemic in Uganda.
The guidelines were issued during a meeting between the Minister for Trade and Industry Hon. Amelia Kyambadde, on Saturday, 6, June with Kampala landlords ahead of government’s plans to reopen shopping arcades later this month.
The meeting which was held at Minister Kyambadde’s office in Kampala, was attended by City Landlords, Godfrey Kirumira, Hajj Ham Kigundu represented those who were absent, Ephraim Ntaganda, Dr. Sudhir Ruparelia, Ssemambo Rashid, Dr. Margret Ssekidde.
During the meeting, the Minister issued guidelines that will be followed by all landlords in Kampala so as to prevent the spread of Coronavirus in the Central Business District (CBD).
Shortly after the meeting, Minister Kyambadde stated thus;
“Met with the Kampala Landlords before Government considers opening up shopping arcades and we agreed as follows;
1. To decongest the arcades by;
Reducing the number of occupants, 3 occupants per shop, but ensure social distance of 2 meters between the shop attendants within the shop premises.
Removing people trading in the corridors, stair cases, doors and temporary structure (make shift shops).
Demarcate and mark points where the buyers will stand while being attended to and to serve one customer at ago.
2. Increase the number of guards on the entry and exit points to manage; temperature guns, washing areas and sanitizing gates, compounds, floors and doors.
3. No hawkers and food vendors shall be allowed into arcades.
4. Tenants and customers shall regularly sanitize and wear face masks.
5. People carrying luggage and who use arcade as passage ways to cross from one street to another are prohibited.
6. Landlords shall allow tenants to start trading as they discuss on case by case basis how to sort the rent arrears.