Fourteen people have been confirmed dead in the Thursday morning fatal accident on Masaka – Mbarara highway after a head on collision involving a commuter taxi and a trailer.
A Tanzanian trailer registration number TH77 BVW / T433 BDY Mercedes Benz collided with a Toyota HiAce registration number UBE 995C that was coming from Sembabule-Matete to Kampala. The trailer driver was overtaking on the wrong side of the road.
According to ASP Muhammad Nsubuga
Greater Masaka Regional PRO,14 people who died on spot that included 5 females, 2 male juveniles and 7 male adults.
“The bodies of the victims are still conveyed to Masaka Regional Referral Hospital for Post mortem examination”, he said.
The particulars of the Victims of the accident have been identified as:
1. Nakalule shadia a female juvenile resident of Kasambya Village, Matete Sub County Sembabule District .
2. Nankya Maimuna a 70 year old, resident of Kasambya Village, Mateete Sub county Sembabule District.
3. Nakitto Maimuna a 20 year old resident of Kasambya Village Sembabule District
4.Musasizi Moses a 28 year old, a Burundi National resident of Bininkiliro Village Sembabule District
5.Magero Moses a 49 year old resident of Kasana Village Mawogola Sub County Sembabule District.
6. Mwanje Abubaker a 40 year old, a Rwandan National resident of Mateete town council Sembabule District
7. Kisawuzi Benard a male Juvenile aged 10 years resident of Manyama B zone Mateete town council Sembabule District
8. Matuusa Sara a 25 year old resident of Mateete town council Sembabule District.
9. Katete Francis a 58 year old resident of Mateete subcounty Sembabule District
10 Mudiiba Sharim a female juvenile aged 14years resident of Salama Munyonyo Kampala District.
11. Natasha Rita aged 18years resident of Bamwede LC1 Sembabule District.
One Victim who’s in critical condition is admitted at Masaka Regional Referral Hospital undergoing treatment.
The wreckage of the vehicles have been taken to Masaka Central Police Station pending inspection by the Inspectorate of vehicles.