The Capital Times would like to clarify on a news article we published basing on an informer who alleged that the Executive Director of the PPDA Mr Benson Turamye was corrupt and was under investigation.
The informer claimed that the Executive Director of the PPDA was influencing public procurement and taking bribes from contractors. Our source also misleadingly alleged that Mr. Turamye used academic documents that do not belong to him to be appointed on the current position.
We would like to clarify that we have since established that the information we run was false. We have further established that Mr Turymye has had a distinguished career in the public service without any blemishes.
With further analysis of the procurement laws in Uganda, we have also established that the Executive Director of the PPDA does not participate in the public procurement processes of the government entities.
Rather, the different government Ministries, Department and Agencies enjoy autonomy in managing their procurement processes and the respective accounting officers are responsible for the success or failure of any procurement processes.
Further still, available information indicates that the role of the Executive Director and the PPDA in general is limited to.
• Ensuring the application of fair, competitive, transparent, non-discriminatory, and value for money procurement and disposal standards and practices
• Harmonizing the procurement and disposal policy systems and practices of Central Government, Local Governments and Statutory bodies
• Setting standards for the public procurement and disposal systems in Uganda
• Monitoring compliance of procuring and disposing entities and
• Building procurement and disposal capacity in Uganda
We would therefore like to unreservedly apologize to Mr Turamye, the PPDA fraternity, and the general public for the erroneous information published on 20th December 2021.
We look forward to a harmonious working relationship in future while covering matters relating to public procurement and disposal.