President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has announced the postponement of this year’s Martyrs’ Day celebrations due to concerns over the Ebola outbreak currently affecting parts of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
In a statement addressed to Ugandans, particularly the youth commonly referred to as “Bazzukulu,” the President said the decision was reached after consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders.
Museveni explained that Uganda hosts thousands of pilgrims every year, many of whom travel from eastern Congo to participate in the annual June 3 celebrations at the Uganda Martyrs Shrine in Namugongo Martyrs Shrine.
He said the increasing Ebola cases in the neighboring country pose a significant public health risk, making it necessary to postpone the event as a precautionary measure to protect lives.
“This decision was made because Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims annually from Eastern Congo, which is currently experiencing an Ebola outbreak. To safeguard everyone’s lives, it is essential that this important event be postponed,” Museveni said.
The President urged pilgrims who had already begun travelling to immediately return home and continue observing preventive health measures.
He also called on the public to report anyone showing signs of illness and encourage those who are unwell to seek immediate medical attention.
“We regret any inconvenience caused, but the protection of life must come first,” he added.
The government said a new date for the celebration will be communicated after health authorities assess the situation and confirm that it is safe to proceed.
Martyrs’ Day is one of Uganda’s biggest annual religious events, attracting tens of thousands of pilgrims from across Africa and beyond to commemorate the 45 Christian converts executed between 1885 and 1887 for their faith.
Health officials have since intensified surveillance at border points and urged the public to remain vigilant as efforts to contain the outbreak continue.

