back to top
HomeUncategorizedFuelled Relations! Uganda Police Arrest Over 83 Rwandese Over Illegal Entry

Fuelled Relations! Uganda Police Arrest Over 83 Rwandese Over Illegal Entry

Published on

- Advertisement -spot_img

Uganda Police Force together with sister security operatives in Kabale have arrested and detained over 83 Rwandan and Congolese nationals over illegal entry into Uganda.

The development was revealed by the Kabale District Police Commander Brian Ampeire who said that they were forced to stage a roadblock in Kabale town on Thursday to intercept the bus after a tip-off from an informer in Kisoro about the suspicious travelers.

The suspects who include 48 women, 20 children and 15 men were intercepted yesterday at around 10 am aboard a bus registration number, UAV 118U belonging to Bismarkan Coaches on their way to Kampala city from Kisoro district.

Ampeire told the press that suspects were speaking only Kinyarwanda and French, adding that they didn’t have any travel documents and didn’t provide any clear reasons about their destination.

“The suspects are locked up at Kabale central police station for questioning,” he reveals.

Early this week, Uganda deported 32 Rwandan and three nationals of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

The deportees were arrested in a joint security operation involving the army and police in the areas of Russia, Muline and Karumena in Kisoro district in the wee hours of Monday morning. The operation netted more than 200 people, some of who did not have any identification document.

After a screening exercise, most of suspects were released, while 39 of them, who were found to have entered Uganda illegally were arraigned before Kisoro Grade one magistrate, Raphael Vueni, on Tuesday and were charged with illegal entry into the country.

Over 30 Rwandese were deported earlier this week (URN Photo)

Three Rwandan suspects and a DRC national pleaded not guilty to the charges and were remanded to Kisoro government prison until December 18, 2019. The remaining 35 suspects pleaded guilty and asked for a pardon.

Magistrate Vueni remanded them to prison until yesterday Wednesday. Upon their appearance, the magistrate ordered Ugandan security and immigration teams to deport them to their respective countries saying that they should have followed proper procedures, to stay in Uganda.

Shortly after the decision, the 35 were whisked to Chanika and Bunagana border posts, where their deportation documents were processed.

Related

PM Nabbanja, CN Sugar Face Legal Test Over Planned Factory Commissioning Amid Pending Licence

KAMPALA — Prime Minister Robinah Nabbanja and CN Sugar Limited are facing renewed scrutiny...

COSASE Probe Into CAA Corruption Flops As Director General Skips Inquiry

The House Committee on Commissions, Statutory Authorities and State Enterprises (COSASE) has declined to...

MP Zambaali Tasks Education Ministry To Impose Penalties On Schools Practising Holiday Coaching

The Shadow Minister of Sports, Hon. Bulasio Zambaali, has sounded an alarm over the...

Museveni, First Lady Janet Welcome Evangelist Dr. Ladonna Osborn At Statehouse

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni and the First Lady, Maama Janet Museveni, today received international...

More from The Capital Times

Africa Can Feed Itself-Museveni Declares End To Food Imports With Homegrown Solutions

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has reiterated the importance of food self-sufficiency in Africa, stressing...

Business Boom In Namugongo Ahead Of Martyrs Day

Business has picked up this morning at Namugongo Martyrs shrine according to traders. The...

Here is why the Faras Uganda is the Ultimate Convenience Mobility App for Every Ugandan

Kampala, Uganda – In a fast-paced world where time is increasingly precious, Ugandans are...