back to top
HomeUncategorizedBurundi Accuses Rwanda of Armed Attack, Threatens Retaliation

Burundi Accuses Rwanda of Armed Attack, Threatens Retaliation

Published on

- Advertisement -spot_img

Burundi accused Rwanda of sending troops earlier this month to attack one of its military positions and pledged to “use legitimate defense” if its northern neighbor continues the hostility.

Eight Burundian soldiers were killed when gunmen attacked their camp close to the Rwandan border on Nov. 16. The invaders retreated back into Rwanda after the attack, Burundi said.

“Burundi avails itself of this opportunity to warn Rwanda against these repetitive and multifaceted attacks against Burundi and wants the international community to take note,” the government’s spokesman, Prosper Ntahorwamiye, told reporters on Thursday in Bujumbura. “In case of recidivism, the government of the Republic of Burundi reserves the right of legitimate defense.”

The Rwandan army’s spokesman, Innocent Munyengango, dismissed the allegation and asked Burundi for evidence. “If we were to do it, it would be in broad daylight,” he said by phone from the capital, Kigali.

Burundi reported past incidents of aggression to the United Nations, the African Union and the East African Community but none of the international organizations responded or censured Rwanda for the alleged actions.

“If nothing is done, such acts by Rwanda against Burundi constitute a threat to the peace and security of the entire African Great Lakes region,” Ntahorwamiye said.bloomberg

Related

COSASE Probe Into CAA Corruption Flops As Director General Skips Inquiry

The House Committee on Commissions, Statutory Authorities and State Enterprises (COSASE) has declined to...

MP Zambaali Tasks Education Ministry To Impose Penalties On Schools Practising Holiday Coaching

The Shadow Minister of Sports, Hon. Bulasio Zambaali, has sounded an alarm over the...

Museveni, First Lady Janet Welcome Evangelist Dr. Ladonna Osborn At Statehouse

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni and the First Lady, Maama Janet Museveni, today received international...

NWSC Targets 1.25M Water Connections Nationwide By 2030 As Corporation Invests In Mega Projects To Address Water Shortages In Greater Kampala

The National Water and Sewerage Corporation (NWSC) is stepping up investment in major water...

More from The Capital Times

Business Boom In Namugongo Ahead Of Martyrs Day

Business has picked up this morning at Namugongo Martyrs shrine according to traders. The...

Africa Can Feed Itself-Museveni Declares End To Food Imports With Homegrown Solutions

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has reiterated the importance of food self-sufficiency in Africa, stressing...

Here is why the Faras Uganda is the Ultimate Convenience Mobility App for Every Ugandan

Kampala, Uganda – In a fast-paced world where time is increasingly precious, Ugandans are...