back to top
HomePoliticsJustine Nameere Speaks Out After Release, Distances Herself From Anita Among’s Speakership...

Justine Nameere Speaks Out After Release, Distances Herself From Anita Among’s Speakership Bid

Published on

- Advertisement -spot_img


Masaka City Woman MP Justine Nameere Nsubuga has publicly spoken for the first time since her controversial arrest and detention, distancing herself from Speaker Anita Among’s bid to retain the Speakership in Uganda’s next Parliament.


Nameere resurfaced on Sunday evening after disappearing for nearly two days following her dramatic arrest on Friday in Masaka City. Witnesses said heavily armed security operatives, accompanied by police, intercepted her convoy near Hotel Brovad shortly after celebrations marking her swearing-in ceremony. The operation reportedly caused panic as gunshots were fired into the air to disperse supporters before she was taken away in an unmarked vehicle.


Speaking to supporters after her release, Nameere described herself as a casualty of the political tensions surrounding the race for Speaker of Parliament.
She claimed her arrest stemmed from what she called “misleading intelligence reports” allegedly linking her to efforts to undermine the ruling National Resistance Movement’s official position in the Speakership contest.


The legislator accused Kasambya County MP David Kabanda, who also serves as Secretary General of the Patriotic League of Uganda (PLU), of playing a role in the events that led to her detention.

According to Nameere, false information had been circulated suggesting she was mobilizing MPs to reject the party-backed candidate, Jacob Oboth Oboth, in favor of outgoing Speaker Anita Among.


Nameere said security officials questioned her extensively about her relationship with Among and her political intentions. She added that while in custody at an undisclosed location in Kampala, she was granted an opportunity to speak by phone with President Yoweri Museveni and Oboth Oboth.


Following those conversations, she said she accepted the NRM’s official position and withdrew any political association that could be interpreted as support for Among’s bid.


She further revealed that security officers had seized Shs5 million from her vehicle during the arrest, but the money was later returned following directives from President Museveni.


Her release comes amid increasing political pressure on Anita Among, who is facing scrutiny over allegations surrounding her wealth as the battle for the next Speaker intensifies.


Meanwhile, Kabanda has dismissed Nameere’s accusations, maintaining that security agencies are handling legitimate concerns regarding her recent conduct.

Related

Linus Tats Confirms Full Payment Made Before Scotts Maphuma Failed to Perform

Linus Tats has issued an official statement following the unexpected absence of South African...

Anita Among Bows Out Of Speakership Race, Pledges Full Cooperation With Investigations

The Speaker of Parliament, Anita Among, has officially withdrawn from the race for...

Kayunga NRM Chairperson Moses Karangwa Kalisa Dies In Fatal Road Accident

The National Resistance Movement (NRM) fraternity is mourning the death of Moses Karangwa...

Museveni Postpones Martyrs’ Day Celebrations Over Ebola Threat

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has announced the postponement of this year’s Martyrs’ Day...

More from The Capital Times

Business Boom In Namugongo Ahead Of Martyrs Day

Business has picked up this morning at Namugongo Martyrs shrine according to traders. The...

Here is why the Faras Uganda is the Ultimate Convenience Mobility App for Every Ugandan

Kampala, Uganda – In a fast-paced world where time is increasingly precious, Ugandans are...

Museveni Inaugurates De Heus State Of The Art Fish Feed Factory In Njeru, Buikwe

Njeru, Jinja: De Heus Animal Nutrition, a global leader in animal feed solutions, has...