back to top
HomeHealth'Kasese Isn’t Dumping Ground'- Disgruntled Premier Nabbanja Rejects Poor Quality Relief Items...

‘Kasese Isn’t Dumping Ground’- Disgruntled Premier Nabbanja Rejects Poor Quality Relief Items Sent To Flood Victims

Published on

- Advertisement -spot_img

Prime Minister Robinah Nabbanja has pledged to support those affected by the floods in Kasese, by providing them with land in Muhokya sub county, so they can move out of harm’s way.

The Premier has also rejected part of the non-food relief items that were sent to flood victims in Kasese District.

In Company of Minister Anywar, Hon Onek Hillary, Minister Alice Kaboyo, area MPs, RDC and Kasese area leaders, Nabbanja visited and assessed areas affected by Nyamwamba river floods.

Nabbanja said that the items that included 1,000 mosquito nets and 1,000 blankets were substandard and not fit for human use. The nets were found to be very small in size while the blankets were too light.

She also questioned the quality of beans that had been given to the flood victims, saying that they were equally not good for human consumption.

“Kasese isn’t a dumping ground,” fumed Nabbanja who was upset by the quality of commodities like blankets that were brought by government as support to those affected.

Nabbanja, who made an impromptu check at the district headquarters in Rukoki on Tuesday, demanded that the items be returned to wherever they were bought from and that the persons responsible for the procurement of substandard items should be held liable, and organize another assortment by end of Wednesday for delivery.

Nabbanja also questioned the number of people in the camp noting that the quoted number of Internally Displaced Persons in her office was much higher compared to what she witnessed on the ground. She said she was sending a team of experts to assess the numbers.

Eng. Hillary Onek, the Relief, Disaster Preparedness and Refugees Minister said they will follow the PM’s directive and ensure that the victims receive additional support. However, he declined to explain how substandard items were purchased for the victims.

Government donated 40,000 tonnes of maize, 20,000 tonnes of beans, 2,000kgs of sugar, 1,000 jerricans, and 1000 boxes of soap, among others.

Related

PM Nabbanja, CN Sugar Face Legal Test Over Planned Factory Commissioning Amid Pending Licence

KAMPALA — Prime Minister Robinah Nabbanja and CN Sugar Limited are facing renewed scrutiny...

COSASE Probe Into CAA Corruption Flops As Director General Skips Inquiry

The House Committee on Commissions, Statutory Authorities and State Enterprises (COSASE) has declined to...

MP Zambaali Tasks Education Ministry To Impose Penalties On Schools Practising Holiday Coaching

The Shadow Minister of Sports, Hon. Bulasio Zambaali, has sounded an alarm over the...

Museveni, First Lady Janet Welcome Evangelist Dr. Ladonna Osborn At Statehouse

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni and the First Lady, Maama Janet Museveni, today received international...

More from The Capital Times

Africa Can Feed Itself-Museveni Declares End To Food Imports With Homegrown Solutions

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has reiterated the importance of food self-sufficiency in Africa, stressing...

Business Boom In Namugongo Ahead Of Martyrs Day

Business has picked up this morning at Namugongo Martyrs shrine according to traders. The...

Here is why the Faras Uganda is the Ultimate Convenience Mobility App for Every Ugandan

Kampala, Uganda – In a fast-paced world where time is increasingly precious, Ugandans are...