back to top
HomeNewsCrimePolice: More 262 Suspects Arrested Over Kyagulanyi Protests As Death Toll Rises...

Police: More 262 Suspects Arrested Over Kyagulanyi Protests As Death Toll Rises To 45

Published on

- Advertisement -spot_img

Security personnel have arrested another 262 suspects in connection to the protests that rocked the country last week. 

The protests followed the arrest and detention of Robert Kyagulanyi, the National Unity Platform-NUP presidential candidate. 

Protests broke out spontaneously across the country and security agencies responded shooting indiscriminately in buildings leaving scores dead.

Earlier on joint security team had arrested 577 suspects during two days protests.

Police Spokesperson, Fred Enanga, on Monday said the new suspects have been arrested with help of CCTV security cameras that captured the events.

Out of the 836 suspects arrested in total, police have already arraigned 362 in various courts of law where they were charged with inciting violence, malicious damage of property and unlawful protest.

Enanga said the remaining 633 suspects will appear in courts of law by close of this week starting  today.

He said all the suspects’ files total to 116 although he added that more suspected ringleaders and other culprits of the ugly scenes are being hunted with help of CCTV security cameras and intelligence teams.

Police added that the number of people who died in the two days protests, according to the official police records, has increased from 28 to 45.

Enanga said the number of new suspects includes Benson Kasozi one of the people who were captured on cameras attacking Nakivubo Police Post commander, Consulate Kasule.

Kasule was attacked as she removed logs and stones placed in the middle of the road at Totalia Building in the City Centre.

In the protests, 11 police officers were injured by stones pelted at them by protesters. At least 100 civilians were also injured and some are still nursing their wounds.

Enanga said several videos uploaded on social media platforms and those willingly shared by civilians are being reviewed to ensure all suspects are apprehended.

Related

Engulfed Businessman Asiimwe Emmanuel Has A Case  To Answer Regarding Forgery And Uttering Forged Documents, Risks Jail If Found Guilty

In a blockbuster ruling at Buganda Road Court on Wednesday, the Chief Magistrate, His...

Mercy Kanyesigye Calls For Swift Conclusion Of Suspended NRM Youth Elections

NRM National Youth MP candidate for the 2026–2030 term, Mercy Kanyesigye, has urged the...

Uganda Law Society Launches Digital Training, Clears Global Dues, And Prepares 2029 Commonwealth Bid

The Uganda Law Society (ULS) has unveiled a new drive to modernize the legal...

Frustrated URA Commissioner Resigns, Wangwe Tipped For Top Domestic Taxes Job

The Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) is on the brink of a significant leadership shake-up...

More from The Capital Times

Business Boom In Namugongo Ahead Of Martyrs Day

Business has picked up this morning at Namugongo Martyrs shrine according to traders. The...

Uganda Adopts Kiswahili As Official Language

Uganda has adopted Kiswahili as an official language, a top government official said on...

Big Size Recap: London Parties With Legendary Bebe Cool’s Break The Chains Album Was Massive

On August 12th, Bebe Cool held a successful listener’s party at Masq London, Restaurant...