back to top
HomeAfrica|NewsBreaking! Nigeria Confirms First Coronavirus Case In Sub-Saharan Africa

Breaking! Nigeria Confirms First Coronavirus Case In Sub-Saharan Africa

Published on

- Advertisement -spot_img

Nigeria on Friday morning announced the first confirmed case of the novel coronavirus in sub-Saharan Africa.

“The case is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy to Lagos, Nigeria on the 25th of February 2020,” Health Minister Osagie Ehanire said in a statement on Twitter.

“The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.”

Prior to the case in Nigeria, just two cases had surfaced across all of Africa — in Egypt and in Algeria — a tally that had puzzled health specialists, given the continent’s close economic ties with China.

The World Health Organization warned earlier this week that African health systems were ill-equipped to respond to the deadly coronavirus outbreak should cases start to proliferate on the continent.

In other news, Iran’s deputy health minister confirmed on Tuesday that he has tested positive for the new coronavirus, amid a major outbreak in the Islamic republic.

Iraj Harirchi coughed occasionally and wiped sweat from his brow repeatedly during a news conference in Tehran on Monday with government spokesman Ali Rabiei.

At the time, he denied a lawmaker’s claim that 50 people had died from the virus in the Shiite shrine city of Qom, saying he would resign if the number proved accurate.

In a video broadcast on state television, the deputy minister put on a brave face as he admitted he was infected.

“I too have been infected with coronavirus,” Harirchi said in the video apparently shot by himself.

“I had a fever as of last night and my preliminary test was positive around midnight,” he said.

“I’ve isolated myself in a place since. A few minutes ago, I was told that my test was final, and now I am starting medication.

‘Virus does not discriminate’

“I wanted to tell you that… we will definitely be victorious against this virus in the next few weeks,” Harirchi declared.

But he warned Iranians to be careful as the “virus does not discriminate” and infects anyone, regardless of their standing.

AFP

Related

Engulfed Businessman Asiimwe Emmanuel Has A Case  To Answer Regarding Forgery And Uttering Forged Documents, Risks Jail If Found Guilty

In a blockbuster ruling at Buganda Road Court on Wednesday, the Chief Magistrate, His...

Mercy Kanyesigye Calls For Swift Conclusion Of Suspended NRM Youth Elections

NRM National Youth MP candidate for the 2026–2030 term, Mercy Kanyesigye, has urged the...

Uganda Law Society Launches Digital Training, Clears Global Dues, And Prepares 2029 Commonwealth Bid

The Uganda Law Society (ULS) has unveiled a new drive to modernize the legal...

Frustrated URA Commissioner Resigns, Wangwe Tipped For Top Domestic Taxes Job

The Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) is on the brink of a significant leadership shake-up...

More from The Capital Times

Business Boom In Namugongo Ahead Of Martyrs Day

Business has picked up this morning at Namugongo Martyrs shrine according to traders. The...

Uganda Adopts Kiswahili As Official Language

Uganda has adopted Kiswahili as an official language, a top government official said on...

Big Size Recap: London Parties With Legendary Bebe Cool’s Break The Chains Album Was Massive

On August 12th, Bebe Cool held a successful listener’s party at Masq London, Restaurant...