back to top
HomeSecurityDisarmament: Security Recovers More 148 Firearms From Karamojong Warriors

Disarmament: Security Recovers More 148 Firearms From Karamojong Warriors

Published on

- Advertisement -spot_img

Joint security forces have recovered 148 firearms from Karamojong warriors since they launched the cordon and search operations across the nine districts in Karamoja. The cordon and search operations started on May 16, 2022, after registering resistance from the armed rustlers.

Michael Longole, the Karamoja regional police spokesperson said that cordon and search operations were going on well, adding that they have so far recovered 148 guns in a period of 40 days. “We would like to appreciate the effort put in by our personnel in the field and the cooperation of some Karamojong leaders who are peace lovers, and more so the community members through our determination that has made us move this far,” he said.

According to Longole, this is not a one-man’s achievement, but rather a concerted effort from all stakeholders in Karamoja. He noted that the visible cooperation between the community and security forces was exhibited on June 23, 2022, at around 11am when the residents of Kanakomol village, Nadunget sub county, Moroto district ganged up and arrested their inlaw by the names James Akol who sneaked in with a gun to the village.

“He tried to resist arrest by firing bullets but the community overpowered him. Later, he was handed over to security forces for prosecution with his gun no. 563001841 without ammunition, “Longole noted. He said this is a clear sign that the community does not want illegal guns among them.

James Koilibi, a resident of Namijimiji village in Nadunget sub-county in Moroto district, says that they are ready to work with security to eliminate rustlers, but they first want assurance from the security forces on their safety.

“The problem we have right now is that our lives are under threat because when these rustlers get to know those who give information to the security, people come and kill them and by the time security responses, it is late,” he said.

Mathew Ilukol, another resident calls upon the security to give the informers maximum protection from the rustlers if they want the community to speak openly. “Sometimes we fear revealing information to security because some of them drink and eat together with the wrong people, so our safety is not guaranteed,” he said.

The general insecurity situation in the region has calmed down following increased security road patrols and operations in the villages.

Related

Min. Mukalazi Hails Modern Laminates’ $90m Investment, Innovation in Bamboo-Based Manufacturing

State Minister for Privatisation and Investment, Ms Amina Mukalazi, has commended Modern Laminates Limited...

Vivo Energy Uganda Boosts Clean Cooking in Schools with Shell Gas Installation

Vivo Energy Uganda has commissioned a Shell Gas bulk installation at Buwambo Seed Secondary...

Elle Trivia Muhoza Launches Memoir, Gets National Send-Off for Miss World

Miss Uganda 2025/26, Elle Trivia Muhoza, has opened up a deeply personal chapter of...

Court Dismisses Dr.Besigye,Lutale’s Case Against CDF Kainerugaba Over Karua’s Deportation

The High Court has dismissed a human rights application filed by jailed opposition politician...

More from The Capital Times

Business Boom In Namugongo Ahead Of Martyrs Day

Business has picked up this morning at Namugongo Martyrs shrine according to traders. The...

Africa Can Feed Itself-Museveni Declares End To Food Imports With Homegrown Solutions

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has reiterated the importance of food self-sufficiency in Africa, stressing...

Here is why the Faras Uganda is the Ultimate Convenience Mobility App for Every Ugandan

Kampala, Uganda – In a fast-paced world where time is increasingly precious, Ugandans are...