Latest Posts

Disastrous Sweet Mistake’: Iran Admits It Shot Down Ukrainian Plane

Iran said on Saturday its armed forces “unintentionally” shot down a Ukrainian passenger jet that crashed after taking off from Tehran, killing all 176 people aboard.

President Hassan Rouhani said a military investigation had found “missiles fired due to human error” brought down the Boeing 737 on Wednesday, calling it an “unforgivable mistake”.

The about-turn came after officials in Iran had categorically denied Western claims that the Ukraine International Airlines (UIA) airliner had been struck by a missile in a catastrophic error.

The plane, which had been bound for Kiev, slammed into a field shortly after taking off from Tehran’s Imam Khomeini International Airport before dawn on Wednesday.

It came only hours after Iran’s armed forces launched a wave of missiles at bases hosting American forces in Iraq in response to the killing of Qasem Soleimani, one of Iran’s top generals, in a US drone strike.

Iran had come under mounting pressure to allow a “credible” investigation after video footage emerged appearing to show the plane being hit by a fast-moving object before a flash appears.

The Ukrainian and Canadian leaders called for accountability after Iran’s admission.

The armed forces were first to acknowledge the error, saying the Boeing 737 had been mistaken for a “hostile plane” at a time when enemy threats were at the highest level.

“The Islamic Republic of Iran deeply regrets this disastrous mistake,” Rouhani said on Twitter.

“Armed Forces’ internal investigation has concluded that regrettably missiles fired due to human error caused the horrific crash of the Ukrainian plane & death of 176 innocent people.”

Iran ‘saddened’
In a statement posted on the government’s website, Rouhani said Iran’s armed forces had been on alert for possible attacks by the Americans after the “martyrdom” of Soleimani.

“Iran is very much saddened by this catastrophic mistake and I, on behalf of the Islamic Republic of Iran, express my deep condolences to the families of victims of this painful catastrophe,” he said.

Rouhani added he had ordered “all relevant bodies to take all necessary actions (to ensure) compensation” to the families of those killed.

“This painful incident is not an issue that can be overcome easily.”

He said “the perpetrators of this unforgivable mistake will be prosecuted”.

“It is necessary to take necessary steps and measures to remove the weak points of the country’s defence systems so that such a catastrophe is never repeated again.”

The majority of passengers on UIA Flight PS752 were dual national Iranian-Canadians but also included Ukrainians, Afghans, Britons and Swedes.

Demands for justice
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky demanded Saturday that Iran punish those responsible for the downing of the plane and pay compensation.

“We expect Iran… to bring the guilty to the courts,” the Ukrainian leader wrote on Facebook.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said closure and accountability were needed in the wake of the incident.

Trudeau also demanded “transparency, and justice for the families and loved ones of the victims”.

“This is a national tragedy, and all Canadians are mourning together,” his office said in a statement.

The disaster came as tensions soared in the region after the Soleimani killing, and fears grew of an all-out war between Iran and its arch-enemy the United States.

Washington said the Soleimani strike was carried out to prevent “imminent”, large-scale attacks on American embassies.

Tehran had vowed “severe revenge” for the killing of Soleimani before launching missiles at the bases in Iraq.

“Human error at time of crisis caused by US adventurism led to disaster,” Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted.

“Our profound regrets, apologies and condolences to our people, to the families of all victims, and to other affected nations.”

Iran has invited the United States, Ukraine, Canada and others to join the crash investigation.

It is Iran’s worst civil aviation disaster since 1988 when the US military said it shot down an Iran Air plane over the Gulf by mistake, killing all 290 people on board.

Video footage of the UIA 737, which The New York Times said it had verified, emerged and appeared to show the moment the airliner was hit.

A fast-moving object is seen rising at an angle into the sky before a bright flash appears, which dims and then continues moving forward. Several seconds later, an explosion is heard and the sky lights up.

Many airlines from around the world cancelled flights to and from Iran in the wake of the crash, or rerouted flights away from Iranian airspace.

Nations around the world have called for restraint and de-escalation, and fears of a full-blown conflict have subsided after US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that Iran appeared to be standing down after targeting the US bases in Iraq.AFP

Loading

Don't Miss

EXPOSED! Muyenga Tycoon’s Maid Cited In Land Wrangle

In recent days, Muyenga, Y2K Zone a push Kampala suburb,

Parliament Orders Closure Of Fuelex Petrol Stations For Adulterating Fuel

The Parliamentary Committee on Trade And Industry led by Mbarara

Big Story: Parliament Probes UETCL Bosses Over Corruption, Mismanagement & Controversial UGX 28Billion Compensation Deal

Members of Parliament on the Committee on Environment and Natural

‘Back Off Buganda Land’ Kabaka Mutebi Castigates People Pushing For Abolition Of Mailo Land Tenure System

The Kabaka of Buganda Kingdom Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II has

Big Story: IGG Probes Over Shs1bn Ubos Fraud

The Inspector General of Government (IGG) is investigating top officials

EXPLOSIVE: How Speaker Kadaga & Confidant Hon. Okupa Spent Over US $764,000 (Shs2.8 BN) In-less Than 2 Years In Travels Abroad

Since taking office as Deputy Speaker of Parliament way back

Ham Vs DTB Appeal: Bank Of Uganda Runs Out Of Case, Leaves DTB To Carry Its Own Cross

Bank of Uganda has officially quit the case involving city

Amnesty International Joins Push To Free Presidential Runner Robert Kyagulanyi

The Ugandan authorities must immediately lift the police and military

Exporters Call For Strong Action Against EAC States’ Trade Barriers

Manufacturers have called on the government to impose tough measures

Big Story: How KCCA Officials Messed Up Youth Fund Programs, Stole Billions of Gov’t Funds In Shoddy Deals

Kampala: If there is any government Authority that frustrating President

I Predict Museveni, NRM Victory In 2021 Elections

By Faruk Kirunda Kampala: As we dive into the high

Crisis: Lord Mayor Lukwago Defies Court Order, Appoints Balondemu As Chairman K’la District Land Board

Veteran lawyer Hajji Elias Lukwago, who is the Kampala city

Scandal: Stanbic Bank Bosses Allegedly Steal Borrowers’ Land Titles, Mortgage Them To Dfcu Bank

Several officials at Stanbic Bank are in deep trouble after

Scandal: KCCA Officials On Spot For Blowing Shs 8Bn Under The Guise Of Renovating Old Tax Park

Several officials at the Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), are

Covid-19 Crisis: Ugandan Students Expected To Sit For UNEB Exams In March 2021

All indications are that a dead year will not be

BoU To Appeal In Supreme Court Over Trashed Crane Bank Case

The Bank of Uganda (BOU) has said it will be

Shame As Top Police Boss Is Convicted Of Car Theft, Ordered To Pay Over Shs282M

Untold shame has engulfed the Uganda Police a senior officer

Just In! Energy Mafias Rock Parliament As Patriotic Young Turks Question AIGP Akullo’s Involvement In Min. Energy Corruption

Panic has rocked Parliament as renowned Parliamentarian and Lawyer Hon.

Energy Mafias Debunked Part III: How Werikhe, Turyagyenda Corruptly Swindled Shs15 Bn For 3 Electricity Distribution Projects In Acholi, Bunyoro & Kiruhura

FUNDING THE COUP THROUGH ENERGY AND MINERALS CORRUPTION By the

Just In: Top Energy Officials Fired On Presidential Orders Over Massive Theft Of Electricity Distribution Funds

By Our Reporter Kampala: Two senior officials of Rural Electrification

Salary Scam Hits KCCA AS 29bn Is Paid To Ghost Workers

After Eng Andrew Kitata took over as the acting Executive

Benon Kajuna Appointed As New Managing Director Of Uganda Railways Corporation

The former Director of Transport in the Ministry of Works

You Must Flush Out Unskilled Officers From SFC –Gen Keinerugaba commands Birungi

Maj.Gen Nabasa giving instruments of power to Maj Gen.Birungi Maj