Latest Posts

Relief As Entebbe Hospital Discharges Almost All Covid-19 Patients, Remains With One

Entebbe Regional Referral Hospital has only one patient with the coronavirus (COVID-19).

The hospital said it is currently managing only one patient, a male Ugandan who was admitted over the weekend. The patient was a case picked from the community in Masaka district.

The patient was admitted two days after the hospital discharged the last group of two truck drivers who had recovered from the virus. Entebbe Referral Hospital has so far handled 159 patients since March.       For instance, on June 9th, the hospital had 126 patients. It was the biggest number the hospital had from the time there was an outbreak of the pandemic.

As a result, the hospital management stopped admitting more cases due to lack of space in the 200 bed capacity facility and also limited number of workers. The hospital earmarked 130 beds for patients, 18 for suspects and the rest for frontline workers.

52 health workers had been handling the suspects and patients since March when Uganda recorded its first case. Management of the hospital recalled 30 staff to resume work to meet the demand for patient care. Most of those recalled were from the outpatients, child and maternal care departments that were closed in late March to allow the hospital to focus on COVID-19 management.

In the last two weeks however, the hospital has discharged all the 126 patients.

As a result, last Friday the hospital management decided to retain only 25 health workers and 12 support workers including security officers because there were no patients. There were only 8 suspects and therefore the bulk of health workers have since taken a break from work.

Sr. Roslyn Walimbwa, the Principal Nursing Officer and Head of the COVID-19 welfare unit at Entebbe hospital says staff who have taken a break will only return when dozens of patients are admitted at the facility.

This is the first time that a big group (57 in number) of health workers on the COVID-19 management team will take a much deserved break from work at the same time.

Usually, all workers on the COVID-19 management team reside at the hospital for easy mobilization and for safety. Each worker however takes a break every two weeks depending on the work load.

However, some workers will be taking a break for the first time in three months. They include; Enock Shiloba, the Head of hygiene. Shiloba had been on duty since March 21st when Uganda’s first case was admitted at the hospital.

Shiloba said, “It was not easy staying away from home and my family for 3 months and 3 days. I had kept away mostly because of fear that I could infect my family members.”

Meanwhile, the progress at Entebbe Hospital has contributed to the total of 808 recoveries out of 870 cases so far confirmed in Uganda.

However, experts are concerned as Uganda continues to register new cases daily.

The World Health Organisation has also noted an increase in the number of confirmed cases daily across the globe.

In the first month of the outbreak, less than 10,000 cases were reported to WHO. In the last month, almost 4 million cases have been reported. The number of reported cases is now at 10 million.

Loading

Don't Miss

EXPOSED! Muyenga Tycoon’s Maid Cited In Land Wrangle

In recent days, Muyenga, Y2K Zone a push Kampala suburb,

Parliament Orders Closure Of Fuelex Petrol Stations For Adulterating Fuel

The Parliamentary Committee on Trade And Industry led by Mbarara

Big Story: Parliament Probes UETCL Bosses Over Corruption, Mismanagement & Controversial UGX 28Billion Compensation Deal

Members of Parliament on the Committee on Environment and Natural

‘Back Off Buganda Land’ Kabaka Mutebi Castigates People Pushing For Abolition Of Mailo Land Tenure System

The Kabaka of Buganda Kingdom Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II has

Big Story: IGG Probes Over Shs1bn Ubos Fraud

The Inspector General of Government (IGG) is investigating top officials

EXPLOSIVE: How Speaker Kadaga & Confidant Hon. Okupa Spent Over US $764,000 (Shs2.8 BN) In-less Than 2 Years In Travels Abroad

Since taking office as Deputy Speaker of Parliament way back

Ham Vs DTB Appeal: Bank Of Uganda Runs Out Of Case, Leaves DTB To Carry Its Own Cross

Bank of Uganda has officially quit the case involving city

Amnesty International Joins Push To Free Presidential Runner Robert Kyagulanyi

The Ugandan authorities must immediately lift the police and military

Exporters Call For Strong Action Against EAC States’ Trade Barriers

Manufacturers have called on the government to impose tough measures

Big Story: How KCCA Officials Messed Up Youth Fund Programs, Stole Billions of Gov’t Funds In Shoddy Deals

Kampala: If there is any government Authority that frustrating President

I Predict Museveni, NRM Victory In 2021 Elections

By Faruk Kirunda Kampala: As we dive into the high

Crisis: Lord Mayor Lukwago Defies Court Order, Appoints Balondemu As Chairman K’la District Land Board

Veteran lawyer Hajji Elias Lukwago, who is the Kampala city

Scandal: Stanbic Bank Bosses Allegedly Steal Borrowers’ Land Titles, Mortgage Them To Dfcu Bank

Several officials at Stanbic Bank are in deep trouble after

Scandal: KCCA Officials On Spot For Blowing Shs 8Bn Under The Guise Of Renovating Old Tax Park

Several officials at the Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), are

Covid-19 Crisis: Ugandan Students Expected To Sit For UNEB Exams In March 2021

All indications are that a dead year will not be

BoU To Appeal In Supreme Court Over Trashed Crane Bank Case

The Bank of Uganda (BOU) has said it will be

Shame As Top Police Boss Is Convicted Of Car Theft, Ordered To Pay Over Shs282M

Untold shame has engulfed the Uganda Police a senior officer

Just In! Energy Mafias Rock Parliament As Patriotic Young Turks Question AIGP Akullo’s Involvement In Min. Energy Corruption

Panic has rocked Parliament as renowned Parliamentarian and Lawyer Hon.

Energy Mafias Debunked Part III: How Werikhe, Turyagyenda Corruptly Swindled Shs15 Bn For 3 Electricity Distribution Projects In Acholi, Bunyoro & Kiruhura

FUNDING THE COUP THROUGH ENERGY AND MINERALS CORRUPTION By the

Just In: Top Energy Officials Fired On Presidential Orders Over Massive Theft Of Electricity Distribution Funds

By Our Reporter Kampala: Two senior officials of Rural Electrification

Salary Scam Hits KCCA AS 29bn Is Paid To Ghost Workers

After Eng Andrew Kitata took over as the acting Executive

Museveni Warmly Welcomed In Vietnam As He Kicks Off 3 Day State Visit

The President of the Republic of Uganda Yoweri Kaguta Museveni

In Mbarara: Health Workers Have Petitioned RDC Over Harassment During Curfew Hours

Health workers in the Ankole region under the Uganda Medical