Latest Posts

DPP Wants To Take Over Mabirizi’s Offensive Communication Case

The Director of Public Prosecutions has applied to Buganda Road Magistrates Court to take over the case of offensive communication instituted against embattled city lawyer Male Mabirizi.

Counsel Robert Rutaro Muhairwe instituted the charges against Mabirizi by way of private prosecution accusing him of using his social media platforms to abuse High Court Civil Division Judge Musa Ssekaana.

He alleged that the abuses were crafted in vulgarity. On Tuesday when the matter came up for mention before Buganda Road Grade One Magistrate Sanula Nambozo, State Attorneys Joan Keko and Ivan Kyazze informed court that they had instructions from the Director of Public Prosecutions to take over the matter.

They asked the court to direct Rutaro to furnish the state with all information and all documents pertaining to the proceedings to enable them to take over and continue with the case. In his response, Mabirizi who has occasionally criticized the DPP for taking over privately instituted cases and losing interest in them asked the court to reject the request.

He explained that the procedure under which the DPP wants to take on the case is irregular and illegal. According to Mabirizi, he filed an application challenging the legality of the privately instituted case, saying that DPP cannot take over the matter before his application is disposed of.

He also accused Rutaro of of working with the state machinery to further persecute him. “It’s a shocker that a man walks to court with papers against Mabirizi and when asked about the basis of his case and the court’s jurisdiction, he disappears for some days and comes back with the state with no objection for taking over the case. This is a syndicated move to persecute me,” said Mabirizi.

Mabirizi also argued that the DPP issued guidelines indicating that taking over any matter should be done after a charge sheet against an accused person has been done, which isn’t the case in his matter. On his part, Rutaro through his lawyer Precious Nahabwe raised no objection to the take over of the matter, saying that they will hand over the evidence, adding that the additional evidence in the case such as Mabirizi’s phones can be brought by the state.

The court adjourned the matter to March 28th, 2022.

Mabirizi’s troubles started in January when the Attorney General filed an application asking the High Court Civil Division to find him guilty for Contempt of Court when he allegedly used his Twitter handle to abuse judicial officers.

Justice Ssekaana fined him Shillings 300 million and directed him to desist from attacking judicial officers. However, on February 15th 2022, the court found him guilty of the same offence for the second time. This time around he was sentenced to 18 months in jail. He has so far spent 22 days at Kitalya Min Max Prison as part of his punishment.

Unhappy with the decisions, Mabirizi allegedly posted abusive messages on his social media platforms that Rutaro says were meant to embarrass and undermine the integrity of the Judge. He asked the court to find him liable for offensive communication, criminal libel and offences prejudicial to judicial proceedings.

In a related incident, the Buganda Road Resident State Attorney Joan Keko wrote to the same court on March 10th 2022 asking to take over the case in which Rutaro is accusing lawyer Isaac Ssemakadde of similar offences. His troubles started after standing in solidarity with Mabirizi shortly after the court made the decision to jail him. He reportedly also posted abusive statements attacking Justice Ssekaana on his Twitter handle.

Loading

Don't Miss

EXPOSED! Muyenga Tycoon’s Maid Cited In Land Wrangle

In recent days, Muyenga, Y2K Zone a push Kampala suburb,

Parliament Orders Closure Of Fuelex Petrol Stations For Adulterating Fuel

The Parliamentary Committee on Trade And Industry led by Mbarara

Big Story: Parliament Probes UETCL Bosses Over Corruption, Mismanagement & Controversial UGX 28Billion Compensation Deal

Members of Parliament on the Committee on Environment and Natural

‘Back Off Buganda Land’ Kabaka Mutebi Castigates People Pushing For Abolition Of Mailo Land Tenure System

The Kabaka of Buganda Kingdom Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II has

Big Story: IGG Probes Over Shs1bn Ubos Fraud

The Inspector General of Government (IGG) is investigating top officials

EXPLOSIVE: How Speaker Kadaga & Confidant Hon. Okupa Spent Over US $764,000 (Shs2.8 BN) In-less Than 2 Years In Travels Abroad

Since taking office as Deputy Speaker of Parliament way back

Ham Vs DTB Appeal: Bank Of Uganda Runs Out Of Case, Leaves DTB To Carry Its Own Cross

Bank of Uganda has officially quit the case involving city

Amnesty International Joins Push To Free Presidential Runner Robert Kyagulanyi

The Ugandan authorities must immediately lift the police and military

Exporters Call For Strong Action Against EAC States’ Trade Barriers

Manufacturers have called on the government to impose tough measures

Big Story: How KCCA Officials Messed Up Youth Fund Programs, Stole Billions of Gov’t Funds In Shoddy Deals

Kampala: If there is any government Authority that frustrating President

I Predict Museveni, NRM Victory In 2021 Elections

By Faruk Kirunda Kampala: As we dive into the high

Crisis: Lord Mayor Lukwago Defies Court Order, Appoints Balondemu As Chairman K’la District Land Board

Veteran lawyer Hajji Elias Lukwago, who is the Kampala city

Scandal: Stanbic Bank Bosses Allegedly Steal Borrowers’ Land Titles, Mortgage Them To Dfcu Bank

Several officials at Stanbic Bank are in deep trouble after

Scandal: KCCA Officials On Spot For Blowing Shs 8Bn Under The Guise Of Renovating Old Tax Park

Several officials at the Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), are

Covid-19 Crisis: Ugandan Students Expected To Sit For UNEB Exams In March 2021

All indications are that a dead year will not be

BoU To Appeal In Supreme Court Over Trashed Crane Bank Case

The Bank of Uganda (BOU) has said it will be

Shame As Top Police Boss Is Convicted Of Car Theft, Ordered To Pay Over Shs282M

Untold shame has engulfed the Uganda Police a senior officer

Just In! Energy Mafias Rock Parliament As Patriotic Young Turks Question AIGP Akullo’s Involvement In Min. Energy Corruption

Panic has rocked Parliament as renowned Parliamentarian and Lawyer Hon.

Energy Mafias Debunked Part III: How Werikhe, Turyagyenda Corruptly Swindled Shs15 Bn For 3 Electricity Distribution Projects In Acholi, Bunyoro & Kiruhura

FUNDING THE COUP THROUGH ENERGY AND MINERALS CORRUPTION By the

Just In: Top Energy Officials Fired On Presidential Orders Over Massive Theft Of Electricity Distribution Funds

By Our Reporter Kampala: Two senior officials of Rural Electrification

Salary Scam Hits KCCA AS 29bn Is Paid To Ghost Workers

After Eng Andrew Kitata took over as the acting Executive

Covid-19: UPDF Will Defeat Killer Pandemic By Defending Our Borders-Gen.Muhoozi

The UPDF Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) Gen David Muhoozi
coronavirus

Covid-19: 14 More Ugandans Test Positive, Cases Rise To 212

The Ministry of Health in Uganda has confirmed 14 new