Latest Posts

ICC Moves To Institute Additional Charges Against Joseph Kony

The Office of the Prosecutor at the International Criminal Court (ICC) says it will add additional charges against the elusive Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) rebel leader, Joseph Kony once a confirmation charge hearing is granted by Pre-trial Chamber II Judges.

The ICC issued an arrest warrant against Kony, the founder of the brutal LRA in 2005 for 33 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

In November last year, 17 years since the arrest warrant was issued, the ICC prosecutor Karim Khan wrote to the pre-trial chamber II seeking authorization to revive and hold a confirmation hearing against Kony in his absence.

Dahirou Sant-Anna, the International Cooperation Adviser in the Office of the Prosecutor of the ICC says they intend to add more charges to the charges already in Kony’s arrest warrant once a confirmation charge hearing is granted.

Addressing the press in Gulu city on Monday, Dahirou didn’t however disclose the number of additional charges but noted that the prosecutor will on the evidence presented in Dominic Ongwen’s case for additional charges.

He says although the investigation is ongoing, they shall be relying on the evidence that had already been used in Ogwen’s case that is relevant to Joseph Kony and had probative value in front of the ICC judges.

Ongwen, an LRA child soldier-turned-commander of the Sinia Brigade was convicted by the ICC in 2021 to 25 years in prison for war crimes and crimes against humanity. He lost an appeal against his conviction and sentencing to jail in December last year.

Dahirou says the confirmation of charges against Kony is significant since it will give the opportunity for victims to publicly know the evidence that the prosecutor intends to rely upon.

He however notes that whereas the confirmation of the hearing will set the pace for the commencement of Kony’s trial, the trial won’t take place until he is arraigned to court physically to answer the allegations against him.

According to Dahirou, reviving the case against Kony will help the Office of the Prosecutor to trigger public debate and attract the attention of the international community to consider pursuing Kony from his hideout.

The submission made by Prosecutor Kharim Khan to revive the case against Kony is the first in the history of the ICC since its establishment in 2002, to prosecute those accused of war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide.

In any case, the submission of the prosecutor is accepted, and the process of confirmation of charges will entail the Judges hearing the oral submission from the prosecution, legal representative of the victims, and defence team.

Dahirou however revealed that since the submission of the prosecutor last year, Kony hadn’t yet been informed about the request for confirmation of charges hearing in his absentia.

He says in any case if the judges allow the request to proceed, they will intensify publicity to ensure Kony gets to know about it.

Kony remains the longest elusive suspect among four other top LRA commanders indicted by the ICC in 2005 with Ongwen being the first to have been arrested, tried, and sentenced to jail. Three others, Raska Lukwiya, and Okot Odhiambo are all dead, and Vincent Otti is presumed dead.

Already, the US State Department has offered a 5-million-dollar bounty leading to the arrest of Kony.

Kony is accused of committing murder, cruel treatment, enslavement, rape, and attacks against the civilian population in Northern Uganda.

The LRA rebel leader launched a brutal rebellion from Northern Uganda against President Museveni’s leadership that left over 1 million people displaced and hundreds of thousands killed in a war that spanned two decades.

The violence escalated and spilt over to the neighbouring South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and the Central African Republic.

Loading

Don't Miss

EXPOSED! Muyenga Tycoon’s Maid Cited In Land Wrangle

In recent days, Muyenga, Y2K Zone a push Kampala suburb,

Parliament Orders Closure Of Fuelex Petrol Stations For Adulterating Fuel

The Parliamentary Committee on Trade And Industry led by Mbarara

Big Story: Parliament Probes UETCL Bosses Over Corruption, Mismanagement & Controversial UGX 28Billion Compensation Deal

Members of Parliament on the Committee on Environment and Natural

‘Back Off Buganda Land’ Kabaka Mutebi Castigates People Pushing For Abolition Of Mailo Land Tenure System

The Kabaka of Buganda Kingdom Ronald Muwenda Mutebi II has

Big Story: IGG Probes Over Shs1bn Ubos Fraud

The Inspector General of Government (IGG) is investigating top officials

EXPLOSIVE: How Speaker Kadaga & Confidant Hon. Okupa Spent Over US $764,000 (Shs2.8 BN) In-less Than 2 Years In Travels Abroad

Since taking office as Deputy Speaker of Parliament way back

Ham Vs DTB Appeal: Bank Of Uganda Runs Out Of Case, Leaves DTB To Carry Its Own Cross

Bank of Uganda has officially quit the case involving city

Amnesty International Joins Push To Free Presidential Runner Robert Kyagulanyi

The Ugandan authorities must immediately lift the police and military

Exporters Call For Strong Action Against EAC States’ Trade Barriers

Manufacturers have called on the government to impose tough measures

Big Story: How KCCA Officials Messed Up Youth Fund Programs, Stole Billions of Gov’t Funds In Shoddy Deals

Kampala: If there is any government Authority that frustrating President

I Predict Museveni, NRM Victory In 2021 Elections

By Faruk Kirunda Kampala: As we dive into the high

Crisis: Lord Mayor Lukwago Defies Court Order, Appoints Balondemu As Chairman K’la District Land Board

Veteran lawyer Hajji Elias Lukwago, who is the Kampala city

Scandal: Stanbic Bank Bosses Allegedly Steal Borrowers’ Land Titles, Mortgage Them To Dfcu Bank

Several officials at Stanbic Bank are in deep trouble after

Scandal: KCCA Officials On Spot For Blowing Shs 8Bn Under The Guise Of Renovating Old Tax Park

Several officials at the Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), are

Covid-19 Crisis: Ugandan Students Expected To Sit For UNEB Exams In March 2021

All indications are that a dead year will not be

BoU To Appeal In Supreme Court Over Trashed Crane Bank Case

The Bank of Uganda (BOU) has said it will be

Shame As Top Police Boss Is Convicted Of Car Theft, Ordered To Pay Over Shs282M

Untold shame has engulfed the Uganda Police a senior officer

Just In! Energy Mafias Rock Parliament As Patriotic Young Turks Question AIGP Akullo’s Involvement In Min. Energy Corruption

Panic has rocked Parliament as renowned Parliamentarian and Lawyer Hon.

Energy Mafias Debunked Part III: How Werikhe, Turyagyenda Corruptly Swindled Shs15 Bn For 3 Electricity Distribution Projects In Acholi, Bunyoro & Kiruhura

FUNDING THE COUP THROUGH ENERGY AND MINERALS CORRUPTION By the

Just In: Top Energy Officials Fired On Presidential Orders Over Massive Theft Of Electricity Distribution Funds

By Our Reporter Kampala: Two senior officials of Rural Electrification

Salary Scam Hits KCCA AS 29bn Is Paid To Ghost Workers

After Eng Andrew Kitata took over as the acting Executive

Frustrated: Makerere Scientists To Sue University For Rejecting Their Admission

A group of twenty(20) Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery graduates

He Won’t To Be In Hiding Forever; CID Vows To Bring Untouchable BoU’s Sekabira To Court

The Criminal Investigations Department of police has vowed that Bank