A large swarm of desert locusts estimated to cover about 100,000 acres has entered into Uganda and settled in the districts of Karamoja sub-region in northeastern Uganda.
According to the Amudat district senior agricultural officer Joseph Marimoi, the locusts entered through Karita border area and spread throughout Karita sub-county in the areas of Akou lee, Nacemato, and around the mountains.
He says that the locusts migrated in dense swarms westwards towards Nakapipripirit and Nabilatuk districts. Marimoi said the district authorities have informed the ministry of Agriculture Animal Industries and Fisheries about the fresh invasion of the desert locusts.Marimoi explained that the production department could not immediately track the movement of the locusts because the department was ill-prepared. The invasion of the locusts comes at a time the country is struggling to contain the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
On Sunday morning, a team of UPDF soldiers battled with the insects in Namalu sub county Nakapiripirit district where they settled last night. The UPDF team sprayed the insects in several villages in Namalu for several hours according to the UPDF spokesperson for Third Division, Maj Peter Mugisa.
He said the spraying was not effective because the desert locusts are continuously moving, flying high in the sky, therefore, limiting the success of the hand spraying.
The insects have currently moved and settled in Nakapiripirt district and Loregei in Lolacet sub county Nabilatuk and are being pursued by the UPDF. Nakapiripirit district entomology officer, Dr Simon Peter Amoga says they are tracking movement of the locusts in order to inform the UPDF for a response.
The desert locusts first invaded Uganda on January 19 entering the country through the same Alakas in Amudat district.
They spread to other regions but the UPDF managed to kill the insects through hand spraying with assistance from the Desert Locust Control Organization of East Africa. u.r.n
- ‘Back Off Buganda Land’ Kabaka Mutebi Castigates People Pushing For Abolition Of Mailo Land Tenure System
- Big Story: IGG Probes Over Shs1bn Ubos Fraud
- EXPLOSIVE: How Speaker Kadaga & Confidant Hon. Okupa Spent Over US $764,000 (Shs2.8 BN) In-less Than 2 Years In Travels Abroad
- Ham Vs DTB Appeal: Bank Of Uganda Runs Out Of Case, Leaves DTB To Carry Its Own Cross
- Amnesty International Joins Push To Free Presidential Runner Robert Kyagulanyi
- Exporters Call For Strong Action Against EAC States’ Trade Barriers
- Big Story: How KCCA Officials Messed Up Youth Fund Programs, Stole Billions of Gov’t Funds In Shoddy Deals
- I Predict Museveni, NRM Victory In 2021 Elections
- Crisis: Lord Mayor Lukwago Defies Court Order, Appoints Balondemu As Chairman K’la District Land Board
- Scandal: Stanbic Bank Bosses Allegedly Steal Borrowers’ Land Titles, Mortgage Them To Dfcu Bank
- Scandal: KCCA Officials On Spot For Blowing Shs 8Bn Under The Guise Of Renovating Old Tax Park
- Covid-19 Crisis: Ugandan Students Expected To Sit For UNEB Exams In March 2021
- BoU To Appeal In Supreme Court Over Trashed Crane Bank Case
- Shame As Top Police Boss Is Convicted Of Car Theft, Ordered To Pay Over Shs282M
- Energy Mafias Debunked Part III: How Werikhe, Turyagyenda Corruptly Swindled Shs15 Bn For 3 Electricity Distribution Projects In Acholi, Bunyoro & Kiruhura
- Just In: Top Energy Officials Fired On Presidential Orders Over Massive Theft Of Electricity Distribution Funds
- Salary Scam Hits KCCA AS 29bn Is Paid To Ghost Workers
- MP Ssegirinya Appears In Court With ‘Rotting’ Foot, Slapped With Fresh Charges
- Dusted: ‘We Are Broke! Your Savings Were Borrowed To EAC States’- NSSF Boss Byarugaba Breaks Hearts Of Jubilant Ugandans
- Big Story: CID Summons Uganda Land Commission Boss Byenkya Over Alleged Fraudulent Payments In Billions As Min. Nabakooba Takes Over Management
- Court Orders Businessman Ben Kavuya To Return Wakanyira’s Fraudulently Acquired Properties
- Lands Minister Nabakooba Suspends Uganda Land Commission Top Bosses Over Corruption
- Three People Dead In Mbarara-Kabale Road Accident
- UPDF Starts Offensive Operations To End Cattle Raids-Gen Elwelu
- Women Political Activists Want Elections Financing Regulated
- Opinion: Is MTN Public Share Offering a Buy?
- ”Stop Wasting Money On IT”-Lawyer Ssemakadde Exposes LDC As A Fraud